I Forge Iron

Rat hole anvil

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about the anvil DHarris. You were smart to invest that stimulus money. I saved mine and bought an Ameribrade 2x72 grinder. I put some serious use on it for the first time tonight. If I had invested the money I may have been able to get more accessories. The Ameribrade is my first one but I am very happy with it.

On 3/24/2021 at 1:57 AM, BillyBones said:

Thomas, i only had to do it once but we dug it 3x6x6. When i was about 13 i had an aunt that passed. The family was to poor to hire a grave digger so we did it ourselves. 

One of my brothers married a Seminole. She died from a heart attack at Baptist in OKC after a shoulder surgery. She was buried in the family plot right outside of Maude, Oklahoma. It is the last of the original allotment still owned by their family. 

Evidently their tradition is the family must both dig the grave and fill it back in once the vault is lowered into the hole. Once the hole is started, a backhoe can be used, but putting the dirt back is all done with shovels by the family. 

The guy who they had hired for the backhoe work dug the bottom of the hole to small, which they only discover when trying to lower the vault into the hole. It wouldn’t fit. What happened next was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. They didn’t say a word. They just raised the vault back out of the hole and two or three of the men jumped down into the hole with spud bars and shovels and pretty much every male family member took turns working on the hole until it was large enough for the vault to be placed fully at the proper depth. It was that red sandstone you find pretty much everywhere in Oklahoma if you dig deep enough. Wasn’t an easy thing to do, especially in white dress shirts, black pants, and black, dress shoes. 

Had this have been any other group of people, the second it was apparent the hole wasn’t big enough, there would have been lots of loud bitching and complaining to the backhoe guy. Then there would have been complaining that this uncle or that nephew wasn’t doing their share. I was impressed. Amazing people.