I Forge Iron

Has anyone ever done a Cinder Block Forge?

AndrewB

For some reason fires are easier for me to start when they are in something like a fire pit.  I am at the point where I am in great consideration of building a forge using cinder blocks and the fire brick that I have.  It may be easier for me to work with and a more permanent fix in my back yard.  That way I don't have to keep hauling it in and out of my shed when it cools down it can just stay outside.  Cinder blocks are quite cheap and easy to come buy especially since I can walk to Home depot.  Cinder blocks only cost about a buck a piece.  The air flow set up would be a bit different but I would assume much easier to deal with.  At least with cinder blocks there would be no welding involved what so ever.  My question is have any of you went with this and actually have built a cinder block forge.  I know it can be a bit tricky since cinders can explode if things are done in correctly.  Any thoughts on this?

Actually I have read the pinned threads on it.  But I've never seen any success stories on them except for a one time use.  But as from watching you tube I've seen people have luck with them with out the cinder blocks exploding.  But here's the thing, I'm trying to get this hobby going one way or the other.  I'm not going to alone just use the cinder blocks and put the fire directly into the cinder blocks.  That would just be a dumb move on my part if I tried that.  So I could in the end build it up high enough to build the fire pot.  I could take the fire brick and line the bottom and possibly sides of the cinder blocks with the fire bricks.  Then on top of the fire brick throw dirt or some sort of barrier to save the fire bricks.  I'm not sure though as of yet.  But I will get something to work eventually.

go to you tube and ask them.  You asked us we told you.  You want to do it your way anyway if you had read the pinned posts you would know the answer to that already.  There are many good reasons no one does cinder block forges.

this thread is now closed

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

Cinder blocks only cost about a buck a piece at Home Depot.

When I checked just now, the cinder blocks 8 x 8 x 16 are listed at $1.45, and the 4 x 8 x 16 are listed at $1.65

YouTube has good, bad, and dangerous information. If you wish to sort it out for yourself and follow the instructions there, go for it. You are posting on a Blacksmithing site run by, built by, and visited by blacksmiths. The information on the site is good, solid information. If something does get posted that is incorrect or dangerous, the site self corrects quickly, and lists the proper information.  You can discuss any subject with the original poster, or those that post later. You can not do that with youtube. There is no way to correct bad or dangerous information, or discuss a subject with the poster.

You have another thread currently going on how to build two different forges. The advice you have been given is good solid information that works, and has been proven to work for many years. 

Thread closed.