I Forge Iron

Another Hay Budden age request

Hi guys , 

I found an anvil that was used in automobile shop , it has a few gashes from cutting torch But otherwise useble . Can anyone age for me 139315 serial# 120lbs .I know a good welder and was going to have  him touch up cuts in face . Thank you Glenn

B50CEF25-AD01-467B-8316-B30F564B5B31.jpeg

Remember you can be a terrific welder and still not know how anvils were made and so what needs to be done to weld on them.

Read up on the Robb Gunther and Karl Schuler method of anvil repair and if your welder does not follow it exactly I would not let him within sight of your anvil!

Typical mistakes is not realizing that the face of the anvil is high carbon steel and massive enough to self quench so no preheat. Also many welders use a rod specific to abrasion resistance where an anvil needs impact resistance instead. If possible you want the repairs to match the colour of the face---many anvil have been repaired with a high Ni rod and the glaring repairs can cut the value of an anvil down substantially as buyers are very wary of visible repairs as so many repairs are done wrong!

and NO GRINDING OR MILLING ON THE FACE! The hardened face has a limited depth and removing any of it is like having your mechanic put 50 thousand or more miles on your car when you bring it in for a repair. Remember sharp edges are BAD BAD BAD!

Thank you for the warning , one cut on long rh edge was deep . I was afraid it would chip face worse if not reinforced or filled . I will read up on methods you described . Rebound with 5/8 bearing is very good .Thank you for your time . I feel like I rescued this anvil!

I have a 410# Trenton that came from a copper mine; originally used for forging tools and over the years slid down the slope till the welders were using it for a fixture and it had air arc gouges on the face.  I took it to an anvil repair day and had it worked over by an expert anvil repair guy and now it's the back up for my large anvil.

Thank you Chris , I read there was a different process in manufacture in early 1900 but I am not sure which one made a better anvil . The other one I have is 1913 , dont get me wrong I’m thrilled to have them both . It is very addicting searching for these hidden gems.I want my son to have everything he needs and it is good quality time. with him. Thanx again for your time and sharing. I have AIA on my xmas list Glenn