I Forge Iron

Threading Bolts and Nuts

Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Farm and Family, Tractor Supply, your local hardware store, auto parts stores, any industrial or machine shop supply, I'd avoid flea market, Harbor Frieght(HF), trailer sales, as I broken many import/no name cutting tools from those operations and its worth a few dollars more for a tool that preforms well(and safely) although I dont think I'd pay SnapOn prices for a item like taps or drills that will eventuly wear out. I've found that Craftsman and Irwin(the spade bit people) are a good blend of value and durability. Remember use the right sized hole, cut SLOW with lotsa lube.

Taps are the four-sided drill looking things, used to take a drilled hole and cut threads into the walls.... You have to use corresponding drill bit sizes and taps to get the correct amount of thread....

You also have to ensure that the tap is vertical (or the same angle as your drilled hole!) and use lots of oil to lubricate the process.... go slowly...

The dies are the doughnut shaped things that go on the outside of the metal you wish to add threads to.... each is made for a specific size stock.... same rules apply.... keep the die perpendicular to the stock, use oil, and go slowly....

Takes some practice, but is a very useful skill and tool to have.....

The neat thing about nuts and bolts is that they usually come with their own threads;) Seriously tho, quality goes hand in hand with these tools. Cheap taps and dies often yield poor quality threads and get worse with every hole or stud. The less expensive ones, however, are still fine for chasing; cleaning up rusty or galled threads. Are you wanting to thread drilled holes, or thread rod to put a nut on or both?? If so, buy the best ones you can afford. You don't really need a full set as a rule unless you are building a tool and die business. Just buy the size you need for the job this time and so on. Eventually you end up with what you need and don't waste a lot of money on taps and dies you never use. My 2

Look around for an old highschool metal shop text book it will cover this in detail and save you it's cost in only *1* non-broken tap!

I buy all my taps and dies at the fleamarket; but I buy top brand used ones rather than china imports. You can often find them "unused" as most folks don't use the entire set. NEVER buy a dull one though...

Have you considered purchasing the specific size drill bit, tap and die needed for the job. This way it may be possible to have a higher quality tool without having to purchase the entire set. A small set will not have all that is needed anyway and will probable need to have additions in the future.

Jerry

taps and dies last according to the cutting fluid used, the new light (colored) cutting oil will bind up things and damage threading tools, get the Dark Cutting oil. Ridgids Nuclear cutting oil is really bad about seazing up things and inhibiting the cutting of the tool. (my experience anyway)