I Forge Iron

Lesson learned

MilwaukeeJon

Relatively new to knife making and made a brilliant boo-boo yesterday, stupidly trying to straighten a quenched blade prior to tempering. The result was not good but I was not upset because frankly I needed to learn this lesson about the brittleness of hardened (5160) steel. 

And on the good side the broken bits were still usable. Tempered them and then made a marking knife and a kitchen chopper. 

96A89F44-65E3-4FD0-A71E-1C5CEADC53E8.jpeg

655E5F79-DFC6-466A-A6A5-5AEE8A10270D.jpeg

You have a narrow window of about thirty seconds during which you can straighten a warped blade out of the quench using gloved hands, quench plates, etc.  I don't like to do it, but sometimes it's the only way.  On my episode of Forged in Fire, after about three times of re-heat treating my katzbalger blade to try to fix warps, I finally had to do it.  Worked just fine.

Learned a nice trick (here, of course...): Use the 3 points system, and apply pressure gradualy at tempering temperature.

I tighten the c clamp a little every 10-20 minutes, untill there is a slight "over-bend". Let it cool enough to hold before releasing the pressure.

Worked for me several times.

Always the same struggle with myself: re-treat of risk straightening?

IMG_3134-1.jpg

I use the clamp-while-tempering trick all the time.  I run one temper cycle before clamping, then clamp on the second cycle and repeat if needed.  I pull the edge past the center point.  Sometimes it needs pulled over further, sometimes it just doesn't want to work and I end up re-heat treating the blade.  With the katzbalger, it had fought me three times and I couldn't afford to dedicate more time to trying to straighten it; the gloved-hand-flex-while-still-hot-from-quenching trick worked.  :)

I do it just like Stormcrow wrote. BUT - I"m no expert on the subject, and didn"t experiment with this method. I just follow what I heard and my common sense. It may be part superstition, part poor science and part good practice.

I have no idea how far can you bend this way before the COD (crack of death). Or even if it's significantly better than bending cold. Needs to be tested.

LYUV - If you run the first temper cycle before doing the clamping trick, you should be able to safely pull the blade well past the center line for the subsequent temper cycles.  Of course, you can over-clamp, then have to clamp in the opposite direction to fix the new warp you put in the blade trying to straighten the original one.  :D