I Forge Iron

How To forge flat jaw tongs (fuller and slit method) (video#2 on Non welded tong making series)

jlpservicesinc

@c.baum    

Done properly they are very strong.. Not properly and you might get 1 use out of them..  

I personally don't make tongs with either of the slitting methods.  .I'm to lazy.. it can be a valid method though and good to know..

I can forge a set of tongs and weld the handles on in 45min start to finish.. I get ready to take a nap by the time I get the cold chisel out to finish marking them.. While the process in an of it's self is a neat one to undertake as it's a great skill set to acquire..

The whole reason I have done this series or really any of the last 4 videos is for people who don't forge weld..  Next video is on Non welded heart trivet (in this video I use the tongs made in this video they work great)..

There are so many videos on tong making now.. In fact there are so many videos on making so many things now that in some regards the videos I am producing are behind the times..

But, there are  not a lot of videos with the information I have been trying to present or at least not the skill sets presented.. 

The videos are certainly not entertaining so it becomes just learning a new or different skill..

Thanks for taking the time to reply..

But, there are  not a lot of videos with the information I have been trying to present or at least not the skill sets presented.. 

And that's a fact! Most blacksmithing videos just show a glimpse of a how to. I really enjoy your videos 'cause i have no blacksmith nearby i can ask about how to do this and this. So i need this kind of video (in german it's something like "stealing with your eyes"). Of course the "ordinary" blacksmithing interested audience does not need the information. But for me they are invaluable!  If i want to see entertaining videos i'll watch the videos from Alec Steele, but ... um ... no, i won't... his videos are just hectic with no educational value :D