I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Conference Question

I see that the Az Artist Blacksmiths Assoc. is putting on Winterfest in Tucson, and since its less than 20 miles from my house I'm thinking of going. What is a blacksmith conference? Being extremely new to this I have no idea. Conference's I've been to thorough work are usually dry, boring, and you fight to stay awake. What really goes on at one of these conferences?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob, it really depends on the conference, and the group putting it on. I've been to some that included 40" bonfires, and multiple anvil shoots. Excellent demos where I've learned a lot ,and met good, smart, sharing people.  I've been to some where  I've fallen asleep in the chair( and yes, there are pictures to prove it). 20 miles, GO FOR IT! you can drive back and forth, and sleep in your own bed. Take pictures, listen, take money, normally there is some type of tailgate sale area, and unless you have more self control than I have, you'll find "something" you really, really, need.

From the AZ web site it looks like it should be worth the drive. Have fun. Al

13 hours ago, PVF Al said:

From the AZ web site it looks like it should be worth the drive. Have fun. Al

I guess that no matter what its like its worth a 20 min drive 

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Worth it just to meet the local smiths!   Do you have quick and dirty business cards to hand out so you don't have to keep writing your name and contact info down for folks?

I hadn't thought of meeting the other smith's, That will definitely make the trip worthwhile. I'll have to look at getting some business cards before then

Bob