I Forge Iron

What Was This Hammer Used For??

I had the opportunity to get a couple armfuls of blacksmithing tongs and hammers from a picker and he threw this hammer in for free.  From what I can see, the hammer head was cast as there seems to be a casting line vertically down the side of it.  The metal seems soft by just observing the mushrooming of the business end.  I did touch a magnet to it and it has good attraction to the magnet so it definitely is some sort of iron.  Can anyone tell me what this hammer's particular use was?

DSCN4241.thumb.JPG.0c2f6b4dfdbbd4c41215324ebbf9b74f.JPG

DSCN4242.thumb.JPG.ac49145453885d85e2eb0c170713eb1e.JPG

DSCN4244.thumb.JPG.b2237b1a0ddbd8e6ba7d636d0d264046.JPG

Hi MC,

What you have there is a tire changing hammer minus the rubber end which fits over the small knob in the last pic. You may be able to adapt it to another use. I still change a few tires by hand every year and occasionally use one. Hope this helps

On 1/1/2018 at 3:53 PM, Direwolf said:

What you have there is a tire changing hammer minus the rubber end which fits over the small knob in the last pic. 

Dire - I never would have guessed it to be a hammer for changing tires.  Heck, I'll use it and see what happens.  Was it something that was used on model T's or something?  It looks like it's been around for a long time.