I Forge Iron

Quick and Dirty Anvil Stand with wheels

My Nephew and I wanted to get a stand for his forklift tine anvil and with the exception of some Simpson Strong Tie straps and braces we were able to put it together using stuff I had on hand. The handle to move it will be taken off once we have the anvil in place but I am VERY happy not to have to try and drag that thing around.  Man this thing is HEAVY!!!!

20171126_131248.jpg

20171126_131243.jpg

Assuming it is at the right height this looks like it should work well. You might want to cut off the ends that stick out of the bottom, as it potentially could be a tripping hazard.

Making it easy to move must be nice, I have considered adding wheels to my anvils but haven't done it yet.

I had not thought about the trip hazard and that is strange since I am always getting on people about them at home and work. I was SOOOO nice to not have to lug/drag it in to place at my brother's house. 

I will see about the parts that are sticking out. The way we did the height was by having my nephew stand with his arm hanging limp for a knuckle to anvil check. 

Thanks for the input

Ernest

This is what it looked like before we built the stand.

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

That's generally much too low unless you will be doing heavy work with sledges or top tools.  I'm generally working a wrist height myself for ornamental small stuff and blades.  Too low is a back killer!

If that becomes an issue I figure we can add some boards to the bottom to make it a bit higher.  I had always thought that knuckle height was a starting benchmark. Either way it will not be to big of a deal to elevate it if need be. 

Thanks for the input

Ernest

12 minutes ago, eseemann said:

Nope, my nephew does not have a striker, hard for a 15 year old to fast talk his 15 year old classmates in to (gasp) putting down the game box to work outside.

well, wish he was near me! striking is one of my favorite things. I have a few freinds who would strike for me, a few that have already, same age as me, 15.

Littleblacksmith 

8 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

What I was hinting at is that as he will not be using it the way they did when the knuckle height was suggested he may need a different height.  Watch him use it and see if he's keeping his back straight and vertical.  If he's bending over the anvil raise it!

Understood Sir!

Littleblacksmith, striking is a good way to get out your stress, I do see the attraction.