I Forge Iron

Greetings from the NSW mid north coast

Laughing Bodger

Man, talk about frustrating. My fiancee and I visited the Central Coast, just as we planned, but the scrapyard scene down there is abysmal. One is a major company (OneSteel), and they don't sell anything, the other doesn't deal with the general public (something about the hassle of dealing with drug addicts, plus, he didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked about carbon steel) and the third didn't even return my call. In desperation, I walked into a steel supplier. Their staff were knowledgeable and helpful, but didn't stock anything suitable. However they suggested the names of a couple of bigger suppliers who could help me.

One of them stocks quenched and tempered alloy steel plate, but I suspect it's going to be very expensive and they probably wouldn't be interested in a one-off sale of a small piece of plate. Still, I can only ask.

And it turns out I have A LOT to learn about steel.

Hi LB, that is the norm with scrapyards. Some do sell back to the public, most do not. Public liability and all that.

I understand you want to start blacksmithing.

The best you can do if that is the case, is not to try to find suppliers of high carbon steel, but rather to find your local blacksmith and talk to him face to face. 

A forum can be a kind of distant guide, but not more than that. 

And if you are open to suggestions, I suggest you get some basic gear together and start forging plain ordinary mild steel into whatever you feel like. Decorative things, a fire poker, candle holders, hooks, hinges, nails. Every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to "make knifes". i called a supplier to buy a blower for a forge and he asked me in a conspiratorial tone if I wanted to make knifes. Oh my ...

As mentioned above, best is a few hours a week in your local smithy if you can find one. 

You may even find a semi retired smith that may let you work in his workshop a few times a week. You never know. Surely cheaper. 

Best of luck and call in when you have any news. 

Gumtree to the rescue! I found a pair of forklift tines for $130.00. Seems a very reasonable price to me. I'm going to buy them if the freight doesn't kill me - which I suspect won't, as I used to work in the transport industry and still have friends working in it. Now I just wish the vendor would get back to me.

1 hour ago, Laughing Bodger said:

And it turns out I have A LOT to learn about steel.

You are not the only one! I don't know anything about all those numbers I see quoted, but I do know that when using scrap you never know what you've got till it's in the forge or you try drawing it out or punching etc.

Sorry to hear you're having strife with the scrappies. It doesn't seem like that up here. I am fortunate enough to have unlimited access to masses of scrap material so I don't need to depend on scrapyards. In fact, we have supplied a lot of stuff to the scrappies. For no return, I might add. Steel is not worth a cracker.

Take a drive up here and you can have all the scrap you want. Loads of wrought iron because I avoid the stuff. Bring the ute, mate.

Hey ausfire, I think the problem all stems from scrapyards and scrap collectors in NSW being required to be registered with the police - fair enough, I suppose, because it makes metal traceable and makes it hard for junkies and other metal thieves to make free with every piece of copper pipe or wire they can rip of out abandoned/vacant properties (and we have plenty of those in Taree!). It's just a real nuisance for the honest people who want to make some beer money and help recycle valuable materials (I have dreams of cleaning up illegal dump sites and making a few extra dollars myself).

A visit to north Queensland is likely to be on the cards some time soon-ish since we want to make the pilgrimage to Bundaberg (I know, not strictly north Queensland) anyway. Thanks for the kind offer - I'd love to visit smiths and associated artisans (would love to witness traditional African ironmaking, for instance) from all around the world, maybe write a book about it (yeah, I've got all sorts of loopy dreams).

Ironically enough, I copped a shopping bag full of old spoons and other cutlery from my Mum. I'm guessing they're nickel-silver plated - time to find out what they're good for (she thought I could melt them down in my foundry, but I'm not so sure). Still, I have an angle-grinder, a spark test couldn't hurt. Even if they can't be melted down, surely they can be forged into something.

I'm getting really antsy about those tines. My anvil problem could be solved in a big way in a matter of days if I can get hold of them.

Hey Ratel10mm, sorry for missing your post. As I will indeed be in the Gold Coast/Brisvegas area for Xmas this year, I would be grateful to accept your offer (though I might be able to get hold of some cheap forklift tines this week).

I'd add myself to the thread you mentioned, but I'm not terribly savvy with this particular Forum software and can't work out how to do it.

G'day Laughing Bodger  ,

sorry I haven't welcomed you before now , but life has gotten in the way .

Forklift tinnes , do you have a forklift hire company near you , they replace tinnes all the time , if you talked to the service manager explaining what you want 1 for you mite be able to get it for a $ donation to the mechanics xmas drinks ( was a former former field service forklift mechanic in another life ) .

Click on the link & then add your name to the list ... :) 

Dale Russell

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, Laughing Bodger said:

Ironically enough, I copped a shopping bag full of old spoons and other cutlery from my Mum.  Even if they can't be melted down, surely they can be forged into something.

The forks could make great napkin holders, LB.

napkins.JPG