I Forge Iron

Railroad Steel

Most of what I've read about this topic is saying 1080 and 1084, I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here so bare with me.

So I'm wondering what kind of steel they use on the various parts on rail road tracks, like the spikes, plates they lay track on and everything else. I'm asking because about less than a mile from my house they put all the old stuff when they replaced the tracks many years ago. It's been there for probably ten years and a train hasn't come down the tracks in probably 4 years or so. I'm very new to blacksmithing and would just like to know what the carbon content may be so I could know what I could use the pieces for. Granite I know it's illegal to take the stuff, but there's probably 10 ton of the stuff in a few giant piles and that's not counting the 4 piles of actual track that's there too. I just want to take a few pieces of each thing and probably a few dozen spikes to have some good practice steel. I need to get my grinder so I can try and cut the big plates into strips of square/rectangle. I know I can grind the stuff and get a general carbon content from sparks but I'm just wondering if anyone actually knows what they used.

MOD note This is a crime, do not do it

A word to the wise and this topic has been covered on this forum many times~ steer clear of railroad rights of way -"abandoned" or not-. It is private property and they WILL prosecute you for trespass and theft. If they really wanted to give you a hard time the railroad police can write you a summons for any jurisdiction where they have track rights, i.e. they could cite you in New Hampshire and give you an appearance ticket in Florida. Not likely but they can do that. I know all that beautiful rust is tempting but leave it be. NOT worth it.