I Forge Iron

Dayton 1TDN7 blower

Den60

Anyone have experience with a Dayton 1tdn7 blower on a coal forge.   My feed pipe is 2.5 in. and my clinker breaker is a 1.75 In plug in the center of that.  the blower says it puts out 50 cfm. but I have no idea what pressure it puts out or what I will need.

10 hours ago, Den60 said:

the blower says it puts out 50 cfm. but I have no idea what pressure it puts out or what I will need

I have used this blower for a small forced air/natural gas  forge, but not for coal (as yet).  Soon as I can clear space I will most likely try it out on my recently salvaged coal forge.  I expect it will be fine, though it is a little smaller than the dedicated FC centrifugal blowers (squirrel cage) blowers I've seen on most coal forges.

The fan curve information is right on the Grainger website.  This is the listing of airflow (CFM) verses external static pressure (in. SP).  The static pressure is listed in inches of water gage, as is usual for fans and blowers.  For example, the blower will provide 50 CFM of air under ideal conditions with no obstructions or air friction, and only 18 CFM against a 1/2" static pressure load.  The friction from your piping configuration (Tee fitting) and clinker breaker will certainly affect the flowrate, but I've seen folks use hair dryers effectively in this application, so it may not be a problem.  Unfortunately I don't have much data on what a typical coal forge requires, and to some extent it will depend on your type of fuel and stock sizes you wish to forge.

Why not try it and see?

I'm using a Dayton 4c441 which has been replaced by model 1TDN6. I have been using it around 4 years on a bottom blast brake rotor coal forge with no issues. It's a nice quiet blower. My T pipe setup is 2" black pipe with fittings and the 1TDN6 fits right in a pipe Union on the end of the inlet pipe without special mounting needed. Running it full open normally is too much. 

I started out restricting the air with a plate that I could adjust to close off the inlet on the blower. That worked fine. I have since run it of a harbor freight variable speed switch for a router. It has worked fine for me for years BUT ( disclaimer) I believe they are not meant to run off a variable switch so check to see if it's acceptable before doing so. Just because I havnt burned the motor out doesn't mean it won't. It's working for me so I'm sticking with it. Other restrictor designs could be done. 

The only time I wish I had a little more power from this blower is when I need to clean the clinker out that's restricting the tuyere anyway. 

I have not used the 1TDN7 but I'd imagine it would be similar and should power a coal forge well. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2017 at 9:26 AM, Daswulf said:

I'm using a Dayton 4c441 which has been replaced by model 1TDN6.

When I built my forge in the '80s I started using this one too. The air gate on it worked well, but it still used more coal than I liked so I switched to a hand crank blower, which is more economical for me. If I build a charcoal forge I'll probably use it with a better air gate. I picked up a foot switch rheostat (like a sewing machine uses) but never tried it on that blower.

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

When I built my forge in the '80s I started using this one too. The air gate on it worked well, but it still used more coal than I liked so I switched to a hand crank blower, which is more economical for me. If I build a charcoal forge I'll probably use it with a better air gate. I picked up a foot switch rheostat (like a sewing machine uses) but never tried it on that blower.

The plate restrictor over the inlet worked great for it its just that I found the HF variable speed router switch box and it has worked great for at least 3 years so far. I can take it from a gentle blow to full on. I will say one of the best things is how quiet it is and that it fits into the 2" black pipe coupler with no special connection.