I Forge Iron

Forge Body Idea

bowman

Hi everyone...I'm pretty new here.  Been reading a lot and have a question.  I'm researching building my own forge and would like to know how hot will the outside of a properly insulated forge get?I'm thinking of building one from an old 5.16 gallon beer keg.  It's about 9 1/2 inches in diameter and 19 1/2 inches long but not made from stainless steel.   I don't plan on keeping the length that size and would like to use one Frosty burner.  Any thoughts on this idea?  Thanks.

My gas forges get too hot to comfortably hold your hand on the outside of the shell for more than a moment, but never hot enough to burn off the original paint - except near the openings.  I would not use aluminum or other low melting point metals unless the shell near the opening was protected by some form of insulating material, and even then would still recommend mild or stainless steel instead.

Aluminum alloys depend on tempering for most of their strength. Your forge will likely run at about 400 F  heat throughout most of its shell; this will suck all the strength from it. Forge exhaust openings are often found in the 1500 F heat range. Aluminum alloys all MELT above 1200  F. Yes, you can make a beer keg forge work, but it will always be marginal.