I Forge Iron

Brake drum coal forge question

HammerMonkey

I decided to knock together a brake drum forge, and I started the project without taking the time to research properly... :rolleyes: One problem that I think I will have is with my fire grate. I am pretty sure I made the air holes too large and too spaced out. Fortunately, I have an extra piece of 1/2” steel that is cut into the same 12 3/4” diameter shape. Can anyone help me with the hole pattern/size for this?

FWIW, I ditched the drum top hearth I was playing with in some of the pics and I am welding up a proper hearth that will be added shortly...

(If you are wondering what the heck I did, the brake drum is welded to a brake rotor. The drum was from my Dodge Ram truck and the center hole was way too large. :wacko: )

if you see any other glaring issues with my design or execution, feel free to let fly with the comments. 

Thanks.

F98D4AC8-3E75-4DB1-9F05-1F7EDB10A879.jpeg

DC173B46-E27A-4C54-BDB1-3BE2B37A207F.jpeg

30CFBAF8-5940-455C-9063-FEDBA4CBB9C3.jpeg

3266588E-868C-4504-9188-5B90630B0204.jpeg

10F95E54-D1AD-4E94-BF7D-02A0003DED61.jpeg

EB7729D1-E0F9-4DB8-8054-CAE9BD364C85.jpeg

CE9E7687-FEE8-433B-A6F3-7C910E75EEB2.jpeg

8E4EA1C7-0CCC-4F41-9290-38684736AF54.jpeg

Holes are not too large, they are too spread out. You want a concentrated area around that ~2" inlet. You want a more central concentration of the air. The grate is mainly to keep coal/ charcoal from falling into the inlet tube. It could be as simple as crossed pieces of round stock welded in over that opening. 

Thanks,

The holes in the pics are 1/2" dia.

Would a bunch of smaller holes, concentrated over the inlet, be a bad thing? I was thinking that 1/2" Dia might let too much stuff fall through.

Any thoughts on the total number of holes (along with the ideal diameter) that I should put over the inlet?

I found that larger holes/ less restriction worked better on my brake rotor forge. I can't recall the exact size holes I have but sure close to half inch and I barely lose any usable fuel down the pipe. Does your plate fit flush on the bottom? Otherwise you may wind up with ash and clinker taking up that void. I just tacked on a small plate right to the 2" opening and it's been going strong over 3 years just having to retack it once. It's a consumable so I like to keep it easily replaceable. 

Here is a picture of what I use. 

image.jpg