I Forge Iron

What type of metal?

Brian Evans

Hello, first off I am sorry that I do not have any pictures at the moment, I will update with pictures when I am able.

I would like to know what kind of steel railroad track connectors are made from (to be clear this is not railroad track). From what I have seen on the web my guess is that it is made from the same high carbon steel that railroad track is made from. However I was not able to get an actual confirmation on it. I was hoping that I could make hardy hole tools from it as well as other items that require good steel.

For those who are curious as to how I got a railroad track connecting rod: I work at a place that uses railroads and it was leftover junk that I was permitted to take.

thank you all

I'm not entirely sure what you're calling a connecting rod.  Most rail is welded, but jointed track will have a fishplate on it.  Looks like a thin piece of rail and has a bunch of holes in the side that bolts go through to connect the tracks.  It's around 1060ish I believe, but with a ridiculous amount of boron.  The bolts themselves don't have a lot of carbon for the most part, they want them to give, not work harden and break.  Or maybe you have one of the rods they use across the gauge to keep it from spreading?

This may not hold true for areas near turnouts and switches, as they have to meet tougher standards.

On 10/8/2017 at 10:04 PM, Nobody Special said:

Most rail is welded, but jointed track will have a fishplate on it.

Here is an image of one of the pieces. It weighs aroun 30-40 pounds (maybe more). Is this the piece you are meaning? I also have square plates that each have 4 holes in them of varying sizes that came from the same area where the railroad scrap came from. 

It has a very similar sparking to railroad tracks but not exactly the same. It actually took me longer to cut through a piece than it took for me to cut through a railroad track. 

DSC_1162.JPG

DSC_1161.JPG