I Forge Iron

Nice Demo Piece

Here is one of the items Chris Winterstein demonstrated at our last guild meeting. Chris did a great job not only describing the techniques in forging this but also the theory behind the use of negtive space and options in layout.

It has 4 forge welds in it, 9" dia., and the material is 3/8" round.

I can see why Yellin has contracted him, and how is knowledge of the trade makes him suitable for the ABANA president position.

It was a really great day.
Wish you all could have been there!

Photos are by guild member: Steve LaPaugh

Peyton

5711.attach

5712.attach

I'm guessing that the outside ring was made of two pieces with a scroll forgewelded to one end of each piece and then the two outside pieces forgewelded together. So in other words each weld that you see is actually two welds. Or . . . I could be all wet.:)

Forge welds are as follows:

Step 1: make the leaf ends on two pieces of 3/8" round.
Step 2: Cut 3/4 of the way through each bar back from the leaves.
Step 3: FORGE WELD(1 and 2) each bar to itself where they are folded over.
Step 4: FORGE WELD(3) The two bars together.
Step 5: Bend the now forge welded bar around and then FORGE WELD(4) the piece together.
Step 6: Make the ring as round as possible, and tweek your inner scrolls.

:-)
Peyton

Travis: Yeah this one ran on the webcast...it was limited room in the "webcast room", we are still waiting on word on how to accomplish moving this to a bigger arena. There are a couple of options and we are waiting for word from one individual source before we go back to the original people and request more room....I am hoping this can get done before the next meeting with Clay Spencer demonstrating...

GOATMAN: I would say that the reasoning behind 4 welds instead of 2 is because it is more impressive in a demo...

Peyton

Why couldn't it be welded from two pieces, w/ two welds?

There's a good chance this is an example of more welds is simpler in execution than fewer.

Handleability of the piece as you make it is important. A piece might be so awkward in only two pieces it takes many times as long to finish and increases the chance of a failure.

That's just a thought though, it could've been for the show too.

Frosty