I Forge Iron

quenching a hammer

hello!
I made a hammer,it is almost ready,i'd just need an advice about heat treating.As i read,ijust need local heating at the pein.my questions were:
1 i have an o/a cutting torch,but no rosebud.Is it useable for the cause?
2 about tempering-colurs like usual? (i have a quite soft anvil)
3 the middle stay as it is? (no heat treating at all?)
thanks in advance for helping,i just didnt want experimenting with that piece of metal(easier to ask first).
Thanks!

unfortunately i dont know the exact tipe.i have about 100 kg of the stuff,smaller and bigger pieces Has been used for a vise,(i didnt find the expression in the dictionary).-the pieces grab the material from 2 sides.Guess they were of a large machinist wise.Of a smaller piece i made a drift,quenched at non-manetic in oil,it got hard,and didnt break.But i dont have experience,just'playing'

I Would Shine The Hammer After The Hardening Quench .
Heat Two Eye Drifts To A Yellow Heat
Then Use Them In The Hammer Eye .Watch The Colors Run & Quench When You See The Color You Want.
The 2nd Drift Is Used In Case The 1st Cools Too Fast!
I Would Like Feed Back On This Wisdom;:confused:AS I HAVE NOT TRIED IT?

Pete, that works real well, except it helps having a friend over to keep the spare drift hot in the fire and help switch them over. it may take 6-8 heats for a 3 pound hammer. Also remember that heat rises, so if the pien end appears to be coloring faster than the square end, turn it towards the bottom...