I Forge Iron

What is Hobcote?

Anyone heard of Hobson Hobcote all-thread?? It doesn't look like galvanised rod but I'm sure it must have some zinc in the coating.

I was in our major hardware store this morning and the storeman was adding some galvanised rod to the racks. I asked him about the 'black' rods and he said they were coated with Hobcote',but he didn't know what it was.

Anyway, it seems that builders prefer the heavy gal rods and the good thing was the store was happy to let me have the black rods at a giveaway price. So I now have over 60 metres of 12mm threaded. I use threaded rod for forging snakes (the old rusty stuff is best), but I think I will have to acid dip this stuff before it goes in the forge.

Just wondered if anyone else has used it. 

A little Google-Fu tells me that it's spelled "Hobkote" and (to quote Hobson's website) has "5-8 micron in thickness and a specially formulated passivation. The Hobkote® coating performs with 33% more corrosion resistance than Zinc Plated product." More than that, I could not say.