I Forge Iron

Hello

Wodan71

Hello

My name is Arvid

I am from The netherlands near Rotterdam

46 years old and work as a firefighter

I like to make things from wood metal and everything else.

My first made carcoal forge / bbq and garden heater  is made of 4 old DAF truck brake drums.

At the moment I am making a small propane forge from an old fire extinquisher en vermiculite mortar and a plumber torch.

Welcome aboard, and thank you for your service to your fellow men and women. You are about to receive thousands of years of combined experience on how to improve your tools and smithing, enjoy and I hope the thousands of posts don't swallow you whole. 

You may reconsider the home brew refractory, much better materials available, two medium density refractory bricks are pretty affordable. 

Welcome aboard Arvid, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge crew live within visiting distance.

Before you get too involved building the gas forge you propose you might want to read some of the gas forge section of Iforge. We call what you propose a "Bean can" forge as a large bean can is about the right size to insulate and heat with a plumber's torch. 

Modern refractories are far superior to vermiculite and anything. There is a current thread regarding forges, what works and why, materials designs, burner arrangement, etc.

It might be more expensive but doing it right makes a world of difference in efficiency, effectiveness and economy. 

Frosty The Lucky.