I Forge Iron

New Damascus neck knife

MastaStan

Thanks again Will for your reply and input. I wish I'd made the Damascus but I'm not quite ready for the process so it was bought. 

Dimensions 130mm long, 35mm at widest part and the blade/metal is 5mm thick.

Rosewood is something I haven't worked with before but always been interested in...it turned out better than I could have imagined!

I have some Buffalo leather that I'm going to fashion into an upsidedown neck sheath.

Thank you again.

Mat.

On 7/31/2017 at 4:52 PM, MastaStan said:

Thanks again Will for your reply and input. I wish I'd made the Damascus but I'm not quite ready for the process so it was bought. 

Dimensions 130mm long, 35mm at widest part and the blade/metal is 5mm thick.

Rosewood is something I haven't worked with before but always been interested in...it turned out better than I could have imagined!

I have some Buffalo leather that I'm going to fashion into an upsidedown neck sheath.

Thank you again.

Mat.

Do you make your knives through stock removal or forging? If the latter, then you already have 80% of what you need to make Damascus(the other 20% is basically just an etchant.) Give it a try. It is much more gratifying to make a beautiful Damascus blade that was completely wrought by your own hands, IMO.

I agree with your third paragraph completely, that rosewood came out very nice!

If you make a sheath, please post pics. I, for one, would like to see it.

I do my knives by stock removal, but I want to start getting in to forging. I have a nice little forging setup that I have been practicing on....made a simple fire rake for my coal forge, some little tool brackets, some other attempts at things and have been playing around with blade shapes.

Once I'm a little more confident, I will definitely try out some Damascus.  I completely agree it would be much more satisfying to have made it myself.

Thanks again, and watch this space for some homemade Damascus and a sheath lol.

D.IVO, thank you very much for your comment.

The pins have red epoxy inside them.

Cheers.

Practice forge welding on projects so that when you go to make Damascus, you're more familiar with the process. Make some chain, for example. Nice thing about chain links is that they don't take too long to make one, so they're also a good item to destructively test your welds 

If your experience is anything like mine was, it will be difficult and seem impossible for a good while. Read up on the process and tips here on the site, and just keep practicing, and you will get it. 

There are a lot of non-blade projects that really speed up with forge welding rather than taking overly large stock and forging most of it down; or taking smaller stock and trying to upset it thicker in places.  Practicing such forge welds will help a lot when it comes to billet welding.