I Forge Iron

Identifying this little green anvil?

So a few years ago we picked up this 155 pound anvil for around $80. It's performed well for us. It doesn't really seem to ring like some forged anvils I've seen on YouTube, but it doesn't have a dull sound when you hit it with a hammer. Hitting with a hammer results in a pretty good rebound, too. So I'm thinking it may be cast steel, or maybe cast iron with a forge-welded steel plate?

The only marking it has at all, is a "70" cast into the side. 155 pounds converts almost perfectly to 70 KG, so I'm assuming that's what the 70 stands for. I'm guessing it's possibly Taiwanese or European? I have no complaints regardless of it's origin. It's done us very well, and the face isn't coming apart/chipping despite a lot of edge and corner work.

20170719_140341.jpg

20170719_140357.jpg

20170719_140407.jpg

You've got me on that one, it might be cast steel but sure LOOKS like a cast iron ASO. However, if it works it's a good anvil, that's all I ask. 

Did I miss you in the introduction section and NOT pester you about putting your general location in the header?  You never know who on the forum lives within visiting distance. I live semi remote and once I started posting here folk have gotten in touch who live surprisingly close. It's not a rule or anything but a person misses out on a lot of things like hammer ins, BBQs, blacksmith Toga parties, etc. if nobody knows you're around. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm in RI. I joined 3 years ago, and hardly posted, so I never bothered to set my profile up.

But yeah, I really don't know either. The anvil bounces better than the railroad track we had before (which from what I understand generally bounces better than cheap cast iron anvils). We've beat on it with an 8-pound sledge, and the face doesn't seem too bothered by it. I've seen that the cast iron HF ASOs tend to get deep dents with even a small hammer.

The casting is pretty nice with no real visible imperfections or weird casting voids. I'm guessing its Taiwanese.

I have one that's 55lb and looks identical to your 155lb one. They were made in China, cast iron base with a steel top welded on. They were imported by several farm supply stores several decades ago and predate the HF junk being sold today. I bought mine at a local store Race Brothers and it has served me well for a traveling anvil.

The reason we push the ball bearing test is that statements like "Pretty Good Rebound" are pretty much meaning less.  Had one fellow here that said his anvil had pretty good rebound where actually it was horrible; he just had never worked on a good anvil before and so had no experience to base his judgement on.

The "bounces better than RR rail" is a statement with good info in it!

Glad it's working for you!

Yes, for a while there the Russian cast steel anvils were available in a lot of places and they were pretty darned good. The hardy hole was usually rotated 90* though. That made me kind of leery about the corners of the hole making a weak point like a sharp inside corner. However, I haven't heard from anybody here about a heal breaking off one of them so. . . Naturally they're not available anymore as far as I know.

Frosty The Lucky.