I Forge Iron

Little anvil - new to me

Just acquired this little one from my uncle. Almost looks like a London pattern. 46 pounder. No identifying marks on it. LOL

What brand could it be?

SmallAnvil1.JPG

SmallAnvil3.JPG

SmallAnvil2.JPG

Cummins, Caterpillar, International? LOL

Somebody did a bit of work on this piece of crankshaft. And with the threaded holes on the bottom, should be easy to secure it to a stand.

I will do the rebound test tonight and post my findings.

I'm not sure where the rest of it went. My uncle got it from someone at the mill where he used to work, so I assumed it came from some large engine that was rebuilt or scrapped.

I'm tempted to take a grinder to the spot where the rest of the crankshaft was cut away just to flatten it better, but I'll ponder that for a while first.

I'm not sure about your crank, but our cranks are only heat treated at the journals where the rod and main bearings ride.  The counter weight sections are usually left  as received from the casting supplier.  That remaining part of the rod journal on your face is probably the hardest part of the face.  I would not grind that off.   

Thanks for all the info guys.

Well I tested the rebound with a 1-1/4" ball bearing (kinda big, but the only one I have) - only got about 50-60% rebound in the middle, worse out on the counterweight and rod journal areas. So, maybe putting a hardy hole in it would be the best use of it.