I Forge Iron

Giving new life to a post drill

I  have a post drill I recovered from an old barn. There is no name on it that I can find.

It is missing the drill shaft and bevel gear that drives it. It also need a chuck, bit that I can replace with a new one.

I have been watching Ebay, but I could use some other places to look for these parts.

I could probably make a new shaft, but the gear is beyond me.

LOCATION! How are we supposed to tell you where to look if we don't even know what country you're in!

Here in the USA I would suggest posting a wanted sign at feed stores, and the local scrap yard, post a wanted on craigslist, look at major blacksmithing conferences and see if any of the web pages dedicated to old tools have a wanted section. Not knowing the make is a major issue as you will have to compare what's offered to what you have till you get a match.  (Look for patent dates or patent numbers on your drill too!)

However you will be basically be buying another drill that has the parts you want and so may be in better condition to the one you have.  Finding a donor drill that has what you need and is cheaper will be difficult. Damaged tools often were just scrapped.

There are NO spare parts for old orphaned machinery. Generally it's easier and cheaper just to buy a drill that's in working condition.

That one bevel gear will likely cost you more than the whole thing is worth--they aren't cheap.  Even at that, it might be a diametral pitch that isn't made any more (a common problem).  Your option tends to be replacing both bevel gears with one of the available diametral pitches---and searching the surplus market for a pair which matches size closely at a reasonable price.  Gears are the hard part--don't do a lick of other work until  you have that issue sorted and replacements in your hand.

However, it might be a losing proposition anyway.  Post drills are not uncommon or expensive items.  My recommendation would be to search google images (or equivalent) under post drill and follow any leads which look similar to yours.  There is about a 75% chance you'll eventually find out what make and model it is (or matches...sometimes different makers did copy-cats).  Then you can become the donor to help someone else rescue theirs or at least you know what feelers to put out if you are committed to bringing this one back.