I Forge Iron

Wire rope

philip in china

You can use a Flemish eye splice for the cable, or use a hand turned splice. A Spelter socket is a device that you place on the cable, fray the end and then pour and fill with zinc. Another way is a coupling that is crimped into place, called a fold back or mechanical splice.

Two of the easiest ways is to use 3 wire rope clamps per loop (Crosby brand come to mind) with the loop of the clamp over the short end of the cable. All three clamps should be aligned identically as mentioned. The other is a wedge socket, usually used with a clamp.

Depending on the size and construction of the cable dictates your choice of methods. Also different methods have a different load ratings. I have used the clamps, the wedge socket and the Spelter methods, but never could master the hand tuned splice which takes a little practice.

probably the easiest and most secure way of putting eyes in would be to take it to a wire rope shop unless you fly me over and ill hand splice them for you for free.there are aluminum sleeves that are pressed to hold the eye together,the shop i used to work at wouldnt have charged much to do afew eyes on a customers rope.

a more economical way would be to find a piece of pipe small enuf that you could create the eye by doubling it up and then smacking the pipe...crimping the eye ....or a second way would be an eye splice and then melt flux coated brazing rods on the spliced ends....should be able to do either with what you have available