I Forge Iron

Very easy forge build using old scafolding (pic heavy)

Hi here is a very easy and quick forge table, made from an old builders trestle,

step 1 slide out the top bar and put this to the side, this will be the table top.

IMG_20170513_143349.jpg

step 2 , cut the upright at the hight you want, i went for 32"

now we have the upright and a H piece,

IMG_20170513_152942.jpg

Step 3, cut the bar joining the uprights and disregard (this is the only waste also this is often 1" square tube and might fit your hardie)

, this will leave you with 2 uprights and a H

IMG_20170513_153328.jpg

Step 4, take the piece we slid out on step 1. and cut to required depth of table. i went for about 28"

IMG_20170513_154415.jpg

step 5, take the H piece and cut of the longer side of the H, (Keep these safe as they are very important for the final step.) then insert the " not a H any more" piece over and square it up of the front bar. you can weld it or tech screw it.

IMG_20170513_155509.jpg

Step 6, take the 2 pieces you cut of in step 4 and weld half way along, place on your sheet, and cut around. i used 3mm mild steel but i have used 2mm before.

IMG_20170513_163013.jpg

step 7, insert the 2 uprights, stand up, and cut out for your fire pot.

IMG_20170513_200729.jpg

Step 8. weld on some edging to suit( and pieces of 100x 5mm around the hole i accidentally cut too big) throw in your fire pot ready for the final step.

IMG_20170514_154543.jpg

Step 9 . remember the 2 tubes left from step 5? take them and dance around the forge 3 times banging them together singing " whos the man.. im the man"(or woman)

i hope this helps some one all the welds can be replaced with tech screws if you dont have welder, and these old builders band stands are 10 a penny (here in Ireland any way) i gave up the construction game nearly a year ago to do this full time. i have a mountain of scaffolding left over and have built my whole shop from it, shelving, bench, cam helve hammer. if any one is in the Tipperary/Kilkenny area and needs any just let me know.