I Forge Iron

Railroad Tie Plate Anvil

I walked around a railroad track recently and found two tie plates. Stacked, they weigh 54lbs. I'm wondering if they could be used as a starter anvil. They make an amazing ring and have good rebound, but they can dent somewhat easily. I have access to railroads, and should I go with this or try to find a piece of track just laying around another railroad? 

Thanks,

Jacob

I'm also wondering if there is a rust protection galvanization on it. That could be a reason for the denting. I haven't cleaned off all the rust yet.

First of all, removing anything from a railroad right-of-way can get you in serious legal hot water right quick. This has been discussed in many threads here on IFI.

Second, what do you mean by "good rebound"? What percentage do you get on the ball bearing test? 

Third, tie plates are (as you've noticed) pretty soft steel. Good for a beginner: you don't have to worry about chipping the anvil or the hammer on a mis-hit. Not so great otherwise.

If you do go with a piece of (legally acquired) railroad track, there are several threads on IFI about how best to do that. Short answer: can be very good; mount the rail vertically.

Go ye forth and research.

Go ye forth! Hammer on. I have seen many a makeshift anvil. But I cannot recall an issue with missed hits when i was a beginner, working on an anvil worth three times what my pickup truck was worth. I can, however,  recall a number of missed hits last week.

This is something i put togther very recently. Because  I can, not because I need it. It is track with the gusset. And a hardie tool holder.......no? I guess i took this pic prior to hardie hole. Oh well. Forge on.

20170413_133002.jpg

if its all you have, than its all you have, use it. when I started out I used them. I may recommend ear protection, because with mine after the fist day my ears were still ringing, after that I figured I'd do them a favor and get some protection. worked fine, but wasn't the best option, but heck, there is always something better.

Littleblacksmith