I Forge Iron

Richard Postman

I approached a senior member of the forum hoping to get contact information for Richard Postman and he suggested I post this to the group.

I have 2 anvils I would like to get Richard Postman's opinion on.  I'm taking a chance here and wondering if someone might Personal message me his email address?   OR if someone might be willing to share my email address with him in the hope he would allow me to contact him.  

Long story short  

Anvil 1 - Hay Budden 230 lb (Scale weogjt), early style shallow depression in base, early style narrow waist, plated with partially legible HB stamp, NO visible weight stamp and NO visible serial number on foot.  I"m wondering if this anvil might be a really early (maybe 1890-1892) Hay Budden.  First 2 pics are the HB, second pic is bottom view.

Anvil 2 - 166 lb peter Wright (Maybe PW) - No marks whatsoever save the U in the solid wrought circle, 4 handling holes.  I'm guessing PW but who knows.  Last Pic is the Questionable PW.

IMG_3804.JPG

IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

Hey Kevin, 

The 166#er more than likely crossed the pond. Thinking it looks very Swedish. Before you bolted it down, and chained it up..how loud was the ring? Any cast lines? 

N.N.F.                   Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA 

NoName, the 166 does not have any obvious cast lines, and the ring is strong although not quite as loud as the hay budden.   on the 166, The entire anvil appears to be forged and plated.  I agree with your observation of English and In my opinion, Peter Wright.  At any rate, thank you!