I Forge Iron

Cast iron firepot repair

dickb

I am using an old (possibly 40 years old) cast iron firepot . It's about 9 inches by 9 inches at the top and four inches deep. The sides slope inward and the bottom of the pot is about 5 inchs by 5 inches.

It appears to be about 1/2 thick throughout. 

We are burning smithing coal and using an old Canedy Otto blower.  

A hole has developed in one of the side walls, about 3/4 by 3/4 inches.  I would appreciate any suggestions on how to repair it before it gets bigger and destroys the firepot. 

Thanks

You could try to make a steel plug and weld it in, if that is an option in your situation. Note that welding cast iron is tricky, but not difficult. Pre heating and post heating are a must in my opinion, cast iron tends to crack off any welds put to it if those heats are not involved, in my experience anyways. Not to say this is the best option, but this is what I would try. 

Pictures would also help in determining the best course of action. 

Greetings Dickb,

For starters you could just cut a 3/8 plate and cover the whole wall.  The coal will hold it in or just add a few screws.  I don't think I would attempt to weld that old cast. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim