I Forge Iron

150 Pound Anvil Id Help

IMG_4349.thumb.JPG.0bb7320622593cace1a0572481d910b1.JPGHi I've had this anvil for about 4 months, and I would like to know a little bit more about it. The Face is 4 1/2 inches wide, the horn is about 8 inches long, and its about 10 inches high. It Has three handling holes, two in the sides and one in the bottom. No grinding has been done and none shall be done! I also got a good deal on it less than 3 dollars a pound. It also has a very hard face.

IMG_4344.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4355.JPG

IMG_4359.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

Yummy. Nice find. A serius tool. Looks like a Mouse Hole,eh?

So I'm  informed that the gouged marks and divots are from a tool maker. The smith would employ the base of anvil as a test block of steel to test a freshly minted edge tool. Wrought was soft and it was right there on said anvil.

49 minutes ago, SReynolds said:

No good huh? Can we refer to it such as HB anvilserial no. 17887 was forged in1895 or not good either? 

Forgive me if I'm being the "iForge police". You have a point. To me, though, it seems like crossing the line to post a picture of two whole pages from Anvils in America. I wouldn't feel badly about looking up a date in AIA, but I wouldn't feel comfortable posting a picture of all the dates. It's one of those grey area things. I know, you were trying to help someone out, so don't get me wrong. (And Glenn, you know you can always tell me to shut up.) Just take it as a friendly reminder, OK?