Blake Laperriere

Belt Grinders

12 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I really am in need of a belt grinder.  First I wanted to make one, but now I figure that for the time and money (for a motor, metal, pulleys, etc) it might just be cheaper to buy one.  

I have been looking at one grinder that I think would be pretty good.  It uses a 2"x72" belt, has a 2 hp variable speed motor, comes with 3 grinding attachments, and weighs about 200 lbs.  It works out to be about $1350 with shipping to where I live, so it is a pretty good deal.  

Here is a link to the grinder I am interested in eBay link removed.

What do you all think?  I don't have much experience with belt grinders, so I can't foresee likely problems that might develop.  What should I look for, and do any of you have this same type of belt grinder?

Thanks so much for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It says in the ad, it uses 2" x 82" belts. I don't know how easy those are going to be to find. Never looked for any, myself. Might be a typo, but I'd definitely ask before buying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

It says in the ad, it uses 2" x 82" belts. I don't know how easy those are going to be to find. Never looked for any, myself.

Oh sorry, I forgot to say that it will also use 2" x 72" belts.  Either one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not bad then. It says you have to keep the inverter away from the metal bits that come off the grinder or it might stop working. Doesn't say if the motor is sealed or not.

"User need to manually turn the belt a few laps, then the power can be switched on. you can adjust the knob slightly for making the wheel not to deviate." - I don't know what this means. I hope not every time you want to turn it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could certainly keep the inverter away from metal bits.  About the pulley though, the top pulley can be moved one way or other so that it is directly in line with the belt.  That doesn't need to be done every time it is turned on - just when the belt is put on.

Thanks a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you could beat that price by building yourself.  I went with a cheap VFD and 2hp 3 phase TEFC motor for about $250 US delivered to my door, but I live in the lower 48, so not sure what it would run you.  For a cheap inverter/VFD you should build a good enclosure though. The abrasive/metal dust that ends up everywhere else in the shop will also end up in the electronics unless it's properly protected.  Wayne Coe offers quality VFD's, motors, kits, and building instructions on his website. If you go that route you'd have about the same money in it as the one you listed, but you'd have a better grinder IMHO.  If I were buying a new one I'd go through Wayne or take a look at the Pheer grinders. They are a little more than what you are talking about, but they appear to be built better to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

"User need to manually turn the belt a few laps, then the power can be switched on. you can adjust the knob slightly for making the wheel not to deviate." - I don't know what this means. I hope not every time you want to turn it on.

Sounds like that's talking about adjusting the belt tracking...  -- Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

I think you could beat that price by building yourself.  I went with a cheap VFD and 2hp 3 phase TEFC motor for about $250 US delivered to my door, but I live in the lower 48, so not sure what it would run you.  For a cheap inverter/VFD you should build a good enclosure though. The abrasive/metal dust that ends up everywhere else in the shop will also end up in the electronics unless it's properly protected.  Wayne Coe offers quality VFD's, motors, kits, and building instructions on his website. If you go that route you'd have about the same money in it as the one you listed, but you'd have a better grinder IMHO.  If I were buying a new one I'd go through Wayne or take a look at the Pheer grinders. They are a little more than what you are talking about, but they appear to be built better to me.

 

Thanks!  Those are some good ideas.  I will do some research about motors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a used treadmill for $50, used the metal frame parts for the stand and the motor and speed control. A small bit of square tube and some wheels, shaft and pillow blocks, a scrap piece of H beam and I had a belt grinder. Probably less than $250 into the whole thing. But then, I'm cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

I bought a used treadmill for $50, used the metal frame parts for the stand and the motor and speed control. A small bit of square tube and some wheels, shaft and pillow blocks, a scrap piece of H beam and I had a belt grinder. Probably less than $250 into the whole thing. But then, I'm cheap.

Not to one up you but I'm going to anyway lol. I found my treadmill on the side of the road with a sign "free." The frame yielded very little usable material but the resource pile held plenty enough. Wheels and the shaft and bearings are all that's going to have any real $$ to it. So about $175?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Michael! I love cheap! And repurposing things. It's just too cool to come home with some "junk" and turn it into something amazingly useful like a belt grinder.

Post some pics of the build, or direct me to the thread they're already posted in. Always interested in seeing people's projects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting on parts but I'll post a couple pictures when I get it finished. Truth is I'm still trying to figure out how to skip using the pillow block bearings and keyshaft you pointed me towards. I have some roller bearings I thought about trying to use instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now