I Forge Iron

brazing thin stainless sheet

I have a request to repair a BBQ grill part that is torn on the edge flange in a curve that supports the curve. The metal is thin. Will braising stainless hold? Will my Hobart wire welder weld the stainless? I don't want to make a bigger gap experimenting. It's a very expensive grill . Thanks in advance.

Jerry

You may want to contact Hobart and ask for their recommendations. Ask them if your welder can do the job, and the best way to approach the project.

Is there any chance of getting similar material and doing some practice welds?

I got some 309 sL rods and welded the split OK. The only thing I have used stainless rods for over the years is putting different metals together. One of my welders is an old Miller 225. Using the low side I can get the amps down to 20. I used 50 amps for the side table that got whacked falling over without any problems. Thank you fellows for your suggestions.

Jerry