I Forge Iron

Anvil Identification

Hi all,

I hope I'm in the right place for this kind of question.

My great-grandfather was the last of at least five generations of blacksmiths.  He had two anvils.  One was his main anvil and another one was apparently some kind of backup.  I don't know what happened to the main anvil, but the backup one is currently with my grandfather.  It is unknown where he (my great-grandfather) had the anvil from.  But considering the family lineage, it may be very old (and I think I may assume that the main anvil was probably more modern).

Can anyone please help me identifying the anvil?  I find it very intriguing considering its potential age (and that some long gone ancestor of me may have used it!).

I don't think it is in good shape though.  It has quite some damage to it.  I also think it was over painted several times.  I did not find any clear markings on it.

I live in Flanders (northern Belgium), if that can provide any regional information.

Thank you very much in advance!

IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

Welcome aboard Alexander, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge members live within visiting distance. I can't help identifying your anvil but it's a grand old lady. She may have 5 generations of wear and tear on her but she's not that badly damaged. I certainly wouldn't attempt any restoration or repair, shes earned her lines.

Definitely something to cherish. If you're not going to take up the craft maybe make room in the house?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty,
Thank you very much for your reply.  I just set my location in my profile.
I don't know if I'll ever take up the craft but I've always found blacksmithing fascinating.  Would perhaps indeed make a nice ornament for inside!  Indeed definitely something to cherish.

In my humble opinion:

You already have a fine anvil, which is the hardest part for most. So why not light a fire and hit some metal? At least to try it, even if it's only once. It might light the fire in you.

Just about any hammer, some coal or charcoal, and some (non galvanized) metal is all it takes.

Taking over a long held family tradition can be very rewarding on itself!

Thank you for the replies.
It is currently with my grandfather.  As I said, I find it a very fascinating.  Odds are big I'll eventually make an attempt at blacksmithing!  :)

Does anyone have an idea considering the age and type of the anvil?