I Forge Iron

Russian hammer

or I would get 4 really heavy washers and use the tapped holes for the valve cover, with the washers to prevent the tube walking out. then drift the valve out as previous.

Never thought of that. I guess I'll give it a try next Saturday.

• 1 month later...

It's working now! After a long break I finally went to see the hammer again yesterday. It was somewhat warmer than previous time and also the oil probably had done its magic as well as the valve came off almost easily. I cleaned and oiled it and put it back. It rotated freely, but after I put covers back it feeled jammed again. New slightly thicker cover seals would probably help. I untightened the bolts just a bit so that it was moving again (although quite stifly).

Then it was time to test the hammer. There is no room to operate the foot pedal so I operated the rod moving the valves by hand and the owner handled the iron. There seems to be a plenty of power in it. A 12 mm (1/2") round bar was flattened with few hits.

It is leaking quite a bit of oil. Could it be because there is too much oil in the ram cylinder or does it mean that the piston rings are worn out. There was a little bit of air coming from the sides of the ram when it was down and some more when the ram was in up position.

There was no oli running through the glass pipe, so there is something wrong with oiling system, although it probably has been working earlier.

I was suprised how gently the ram is lifted/lowered at the beginning/end:
russian_hammer.aviVideo

Hello Minotaur,
I read Russian, so if you need any further assistance with the language, etc. feel free to contact me. As luck would have it, I have a Beche hammer and you are right, the hammers are very similar. I will be installing mine in the coming weeks, and it would be fun to compare notes. How did your hammer make it here?

Sorry Kalevra, I somehow missed your message earlier. Have you installed your hammer already?

The hammer I'm thinking to buy was imported from Estonia to Finland.

Hmm... Oil coming down from the piston is ok ... mine is always leaking... No oil in the glass pipe ...is not good you have to make sure that oil is going to the pistons... If the piston rings are worn out ...the hammer head is not retracting up after you hit (from the foot pedal) ...the ram is suposed to move fast ..up and down

• 2 years later...

I purchased a "mystery hammer" 3 or 4 years ago that turns out to be a Soviet made hammer. I recently stumbled across a site that had photos of machines like mine. According to that site it is a Kalinin MA4129. I love my little Ruski hammer. Yours looks like it could be it's big brother. I tried to post a picture but the site would not allow it. I even donated money but to no avail. I can't figure it out.

I went to see a Soviet Union made power hammer today (pictures of it below). It looks like a Beche clone. The main axel was stuck as it hasn't been used for a while so I couldn't try it. I will go back on Saturday and try to get it running. Is there anything specific (commonly known problems, areas prone to cracks etc.) that I should try to check? Is there any info on these type of hammers available somewhere? What are the levers on the side used for?

I don't speak/read any russian, but I assume that the info on the side of the machine says that it is a 50kg (110 lb) machine with 225 bpm and 220mm (8.7 inch) ram travel.

I don't even have a workshop at the moment (though I'm planning to build one this year), but it is a good start to find a hammer first :D

Boy this site takes some figuring out. I will try it again.post-19334-0-66042500-1300581363_thumb.j

Joel, are you able to browse through your files? What info do you get when trying to attach a picture?

Greetings.Here's a page of a russian blacksmithing forum,http://forum.ostmetal.info/showthread.php?t=217916 .Scroll down it and you'll see the link to a PDF with your hammer's numbers on it,it's the technical data you need(I'm too dumb to actually post the PDF itself).
Unfortunately i'm travelling now,and can't volunteer to translate it for you.Maybe someone else will,or the electronic translation will suffice.In any case,good luck,and hope that you get it running.
Cheers,Jake

Thanks Mike.That makes sense. Most of the tags on my machine are in French

Those hammers are also sold new in France by AREF from 165lbs to 2200lbs tup weight, but the only datasheet I found doesn't tell anything 'technical' sad.gif

Jake, That was a great link. It had the manual for my hammer. Never would have found that. Thank you.

Greetings.Here's a page of a russian blacksmithing forum,http://forum.ostmetal.info/showthread.php?t=217916 .Scroll down it and you'll see the link to a PDF with your hammer's numbers on it,it's the technical data you need(I'm too dumb to actually post the PDF itself).
Unfortunately i'm travelling now,and can't volunteer to translate it for you.Maybe someone else will,or the electronic translation will suffice.In any case,good luck,and hope that you get it running.
Cheers,Jake

Wonderful,Joel,very happy that it was the right manual :) .Again,good luck with it(those valve position diagrams look complex!),and holler if you have any difficulty translating parts of it,i should be back home in a few weeks.
That blacksmithing board is a great resourse(though it helps to be a russian speaker...).One of it's moderators is a member here,under the name Demid,an exellent metalworker and a great guy.
All the very best.