I Forge Iron

tried forge welding today

I forged five pieces of this cable, I think its 3/16th. It actually turned out ok, in the middle I could see some strands so I cut it in half and made two smaller knives. I was figuring on doing an oil quench and then temper to peacock? does that sound right? one is just a letter opener and the other I don't know what it is. I have to say that without this forum I would not have even thought of using cable let along know how to do it. I will try to get some 1.25" cable from a crane guy to see how that works. What I wanted to do in the beginning was leave some of the cable in the handle, maybe next time.
5402.attach

Heat treat really depends on what alloy cable you are using---you did check that it was a hardenable type before you started right?

Of course not! ha ha. I was just fooling around to see if I could do it. I have to be honest that planning ahead is not my strong point. I kind of get an idea and just do it. But thanks, the next time i will think about that, It was hard stuff that is for sure sparks flew from the bolt cutters when I cut it, but didn't seem to damage the cutter. Am I right in guessing that crane cable is the right type? I got that info from another site? thanks again

Crane cable will do nicely as will lift cable, but remember that it may be galvanised. If so, steer well clear as the thick white smoke it gives off in the forge is extremely poisonus!
Also it may have strands of nylon or other fabric in it - obviously this will not forge weld. ;)

Weeeelll, now you're asking! :D

Quench in oil, or whatever grease mix you use.

Temper, I'm not sure of, but I would imagine trying it as per 01 for a start. 180 deg. C (NOT F!) in your oven for 1 hour. Then try the brass rod test & go from there.

There's some guys on BB who could give you a better idea, but nothing's really going to be certain unless you know what steel you have. I've always been told to try the above method for any high carbon 'unknown'.

By the way, if the whole cable is twisted in the same direction, then an easy way to start the weld is to stick it in a vice & twist in the same direction as the lay of the wires.

I get it locally. If you can find someone that sells it they usually have the ends of rolls. You can pick it up a lot cheaper that way. They know the high strength stuff. I harden it in oil then temper at 370 degrees F. I hardened one in water one time and it cracked in 2 places half way up the blade.

Check for a company that does crane or elevator maintenance. Back in the oilfield they had to cycle some cable off at regular intervals so the same place didn't get all the wear/stress and so relatively short lengths of cut offs were easy to find. I expect other mission critical systems would do the same.