I Forge Iron

A few of my latest projects (photo dump)

Donniev

So right now I know I'm struggling with tenon's, so I've been intentionally doing projects that require them. As shown in the first picture, I blew out a tenon attempting to tweak it cold- oops! Welder will fix it...

Had time to kill at the end of the day and gave my first door knocker a try. 

Next pic is a key holder, with the candle holder in progress, was going to use 1/2" for my scrolls and when I got to that point I realized they looked huge, went with 1/2-1/4" instead.

The wall candle holder took me over 4 hours, but I wanted it to look good, so I took my time, especially doing the tenon's since I know I need work there. Joining 8 pieces together took longer than I thought it would, but being that I'm still new I think it came out looking good, except that the scrolls don't match perfectly.

Lastly I got these door pulls done a while ago too. This was my first project that needed tenon's, I needed 4, aaaaaand I made 10. Sigh. Handles are 7/8", back plate is 3-14", not sure how thick. 

IMG_20170315_042858.jpg

IMG_20170313_232121_305.jpg

IMG_20170318_231416_919.jpg

IMG_20170319_231911_049.jpg

IMG_20170319_231946401.jpg

IMG_20170305_180641.jpg

Nice job, you are a man that is not afraid of doing a little work.   For my own learning experience could I ask about your tenons on the door pulls?  I see the stand-off's have tenons  on both ends, look like 3/8" square stock to start with then a  1/4" round tenon on each end?  What are you using to make these tenons and what were your major problems?   I would think getting a good square shoulder between the square post and the round tenon would be a major concern. 

Stockmaker it's 1/2" stock with 1/4" tenon's. Basically I'm following everything Rory May does in his tutorial video on YouTube "intro to tenon's". I'm also using a guillotine for most of the shoulder work, and made a monkey tool from 1" square mild steel.

My major problems are either stress cracks, or I messed up how straight it was in the back plate. I'd get it set into the plate, take it outta the vise and look at it only to see it sitting at an ugly angle. I'd have to fix it or just shear it off and start over again.

Lately haven't had an issue with stress cracks, I just make sure I'm never working the steel unless I can SEE color in it, once it's down to red it goes back in the fire

9 hours ago, Donniev said:

Stockmaker it's 1/2" stock with 1/4" tenon's. Basically I'm following everything Rory May does in his tutorial video on YouTube "intro to tenon's". I'm also using a guillotine for most of the shoulder work, and made a monkey tool from 1" square mild steel.

My major problems are either stress cracks, or I messed up how straight it was in the back plate. I'd get it set into the plate, take it outta the vise and look at it only to see it sitting at an ugly angle. I'd have to fix it or just shear it off and start over again.

Your tools might have edges that are too sharp. You shouldn't get cracks if the shoulders are nice and rounded, unless you're going from a large diameter to a very small one.