I Forge Iron

I'm new, I don't know what to do

Halphwit

Hello everybody, just stopping by for my introduction after posting last week asking for help with anvil identification. Didn't mean to be rude but like your typical halphwit I rarely read stuff before jumping in. 

Anywho, I've loved the idea of manipulating steel since I was a little guy, watching my dad shooting sparks across the garage with a grinder or what not or telling me not to look at the light while he welded. I learned how to weld somewhat in a vocational school back home and that just kindled the fire of me wanting to start working metal. I've been an Ironworker/rigger/crane operator for the last 12ish years so its kinda ingrained in me to work steel. It wasn't until a few years back that I finally was in a position to actual start building a small shop in my garage. I started small with just stock removal knives. Literally just a hack saw, file, and sand paper for my first couple. Then I built a small heat treat forge, kinda coffee can style but with a Christmas popcorn can instead. I then started getting very interested in Damascus because of some darn youtube vids lol. OMG! So I went straight to my little forge, fired it all the way up and tried to weld some pieces of mild steel together. I beat them together on a 10# sledge head(turned on end) with a little HF 2# drilling hammer. Needless to say they fell apart with a giant gap of disappointment between them. Since then I've rebuilt my forge, built an anvil out of scrap, built a 2x72 grinder, and just last week bought a awesome anvil on Craigslist. 

Oh and a few months back I joined the HABA(Houston area blacksmith association) and have been learning tons from some very knowledgeable people and have made a couple friends.

I'm here to learn and possibly share my limited experience with others. Also just show others what been up to making/building/forging

Edited by Halphwit
I'm stupid