I Forge Iron

Using molten borax flux to heat a workpiece to welding temperature

I am in the work shop today experimenting with forging and I had the thought of using a curcible of borax to heat up a billet for welding and if anyone had tried this. I know the borax would consume the crucible unless it was the correct material it would stop the billet from all oxidation so should result in consistant welds Cheers Beaver

IIRC borax boils a bit under welding temps and that's one of the signs you are getting near so that;s sort of like heating steel to 125 degC by boiling it in water.  You can see the colour of the flame get more orangish green when it's ready.

I have known people to melt it to dip their hot piece in to flux it before welding.  As I recall it was more work than you got better results.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

IIRC borax boils a bit under welding temps and that's one of the signs you are getting near so that;s sort of like heating steel to 125 degC by boiling it in water.  You can see the colour of the flame get more orangish green when it's ready.

I have known people to melt it to dip their hot piece in to flux it before welding.  As I recall it was more work than you got better results.

Cheers Thomas it was just a ramdom thought