I Forge Iron

Forge build questions

VainEnd84

I am working on making my forge, I don't have any pictures currently but I will be posting some along with video of it running im the not too distant future, but I have some questions about the internal volume and how the performance will be effected when the stock is in the forge, the internal space is 5.75" diameter x 10" length giving me a volume of about 250 cubic inches. 

I was planning on running two 1/2 Frosty T burners in it but I am now wondering if 1.5" stock (likely the largest I will end up using) will reduce the internal volume too much and cause the back pressure to become too great for the forge to work properly.

So I guess my question is if I run two 1/2" T burners will I run into back pressure issues? If it will be an issue would a single 1/2" T burner be enough to heat the forge? Any help is much appreciated.

It should be okay if the burners aren't too close to the center and the openings aren't closed off too much. Still, that's a pretty small forge for stock that size. Not that it won't heat it but it's pretty close quarters so the liner is going to get banged up more than a little more space.

I have to ask though, how long is the 1.5" stock going to be? Do you have a power hammer or have you enthralled a couple strikers? 

Have you looked at the forge plans on Wayne's site? We may build them a little differently but his are solid designs which work well.

Frosty The Lucky.

The stock likely won't be more than 4" long, and it will be a while before I start using anything that big. 

I have looked at the plans on Wayne's website and I've been having trouble sourcing material for a body that size, also my work space is limited which is why I'm going for a small forge, I just wanted something a step up from my two brick forge, and something that would be relatively cheap to build, I'm considering this a learning project so that when I do get a larger shop and materials for a larger forge I will know more what I am doing.

And I do have someone enthralled to be a striker for me, at least until I get a bigger shop and can build a treadle hammer, thanks very much for the info!