I Forge Iron

Claw hammer

Donniev

This is the first hammer I've made, tho I've made 2 handled tools already, this is my first hammer. It's 1045, started with 1 1/4" * 4", final result is 5 3/4" long, the face is 1" square on the nose.

Biggest mistake I see is that the eye is 7/8 * 5/8, so it's more of a circle that was squished a bit, but I can fix the drift. I did get an hourglass in the middle of the eye, it's small but noticable

It's far from perfect, but I'm mostly happy with how it came out. Thought I'd try this because I had some 1045 left over after making a drift for a 4 pound hammer I'm planning out of 4340 in a few weeks, but figured I'd give this a go. Drift for that is I think 1 1/4 * 3/4, I'd have to double check

I'm not a fan of the "forged" look in the top picture, I just got a new blow dryer and maybe it's a bit stronger than the last so it's pushing more air than I want it to and oxidizing the surface a bit. I could have put the piece too low in the fire too, but that's something I typically pay attention to....O well

I'd like your opinions!!

IMG_20170129_220243243.jpg

IMG_20170129_220234636.jpg

IMG_20170129_220224155.jpg

IMG_20170129_134944726.jpg

IMG_20170129_021029018.jpg

I drew the claw out on the horn of the anvil for the most part, just used a top tool to fuller where the claws meet the neck. The claws do need to be a bit thinner on the end, I think next time I'll upset the stock lengthwise a little so when I draw the claws out they will be thinner, and the length of the hammer won't be too long. 

I'm hoping to find some hickory at Menards later this week and I'll have it handled

Donniev, I think what Frank Turley is asking is if you fullered lengthwise between the claws before splitting them apart. This would create a deep U-shaped groove to give clearance to the nail head, with the thin edges gripping the shank, thus:

IMG_2207.JPG

(Apologies for the poor photo quality.)