I Forge Iron

Question about building a Grandpa's Bender, Modified

The mill would be used as "drill press" with an ordinary drill bit with a precision locating table.

A good machinist with a good drill press would be able to do the work on a drill press But an inexpereinced machinist would have a challenge to get all the holes and pins to fit in all the holes.

A mill would be clearly better, but if it was laid out properly and you had a nice 5/8" bit it would be easy. But most guys can't drill a bunch of 5/8" holes on home shop drill presses because they just don't run slow enough and the bit wobbles while drilling making nice star shaped holes. I added an extra small pulley on mine just to do 5/8" holes because i do a lot of reese hitch work. I also use a 4 flute drill bit that drills super nice holes but its 130 bucks...Bob

1. a simple jig with two holes drilled in it and a side piece welded on will work well to drill the holes, just drill the first hole then put a pin into it and one hole of the jig to drill the second.

2. drilled stop holes are never in the right place. there is a stop with a sq headed set screw shown that does a more efficient job.

2. drilled stop holes are never in the right place. there is a stop with a sq headed set screw shown that does a more efficient job.

Yes it is efficient, but after years of using it you get lots of burrs and round holes galled into the steel then the stop dosen't seat well. Where a slotted flatbar washer could be adjusted to go between the holes at any setting. Oh well thats just me talking. But its still cool...Bob