I Forge Iron

Why I do what I do

JHCC

This is something my daughter put on Facebook earlier today about a piece I made her and how it makes her feel. Sometimes what we do is about more than just the object itself.

(N.B. While my daughter touches on current events, I'm not posting it to start a political discussion. So let's not.)

"Everyone's talking about the inauguration this morning, and I'm honestly not about it. So instead, imma tell y'all about this bracelet.

"My handy as XXXX dad made me this bracelet last year. It's the widened cage of a cv joint, and it's the coolest and arguably the most dangerous piece of jewelry I own. 

"I wear it when I feel unsafe, or when I need to feel protected. 

"I've worn this bracelet a lot lately. I'm wearing it today.

"While the fact that I feel the need to sucks, it reminds me of a very important fact; I have a family that wants to create, to make things that are beautiful and interesting, and who want me to do the same. I have a family that makes iron battle roses, and knives that used to be lawnmower blades, and bracelets that could break concrete. A family who wants to make sure that creativity and beauty remain, even when creating practical things, things meant to keep ourselves safe.

"I love the idea that even as things get worse, even as our priorities shift, we make beautiful things."

IMG_2185.JPG