I Forge Iron

Homemade Tire Hammer Ram Material

Hello all, this is the second topic I have started on this website. Despite searching for hours, I can't find any good information on ram guide material for a homemade tire hammer. I know that most people end up using the high density molecular whatever, but I'm trying to do most of this with what I have, and I have two ideas that I want your opinions on:

1) Melted/ remolded HDPE (milk jugs, soda caps, etc)

2)  Flattened PVC pipe

Alright, for the HDPE I was doing some experimenting with melting it and molding it and I can get very flat material for basically free ( milk cartons, soda lids, etc) all I have to do is melt it down in my oven. It feels very dense and hard and is slippery on other materials such as plastic and steel.

The PVC is a bit more on the skeptical side, but just imagine it: get a large pipe diameter, heat it up in the oven, and then flatten it. Maybe even make a few layers of plastic per side and then you have a decently thick ram guide material. I can't vouch on the properties of it to actually be a ram guide, however.

I originally made the ram guide out of pure steel ( rectangular tubing) but this was an immediate failure as the steel of the ram and the steel of the guide like to stick sometimes and create friction. This ended up with a ram that would sometimes go up but not down as fast as the ram arms so the two would collide. Any advice or recommendations would be great. If you would like to see pictures of the power hammer just ask. I'd say its about 93% done.Thanks and have a good one.

Thanks for the quick reply. I imagined that the steel was not going to work out anyways. I will probably end up using the HDPE plastic as I have more of it and dont have to worry about layering it like the PVC sheets.