I Forge Iron

Wenge and zebrawood hunter #4

Dogvet99

Thanks guys, I love this stuff.

Pete, a rare earth magnet is super strong. Not sure of the exact composition, but they are unlike any magnet you have experienced. I use little 1/4" x 1/4" round rare earth magnets sandwiched in the sheath. If you get two of these too close together they will smash your finger for sure and hurt like a son-of-a-gun. They work great to make sure the knife doesn't slip from the sheath.

Bruce, yep that is one of them. His name is Jack. He will be 10 this year. He's my boy.

Ml, the nickel is ground flat on the front and expoxied into place. Hopefully it will be there many years from now.

Bret

• 2 weeks later...

Phil, I use new 5160 bar from a leaf spring manufacturer here in St. Louis. I use bar that is 1 3/4 in wide and 0.25" thick. On this knife I cut the piece down to 1" wide and approximately 6" long before starting the forging. You can draw the tang out quite long while forging. Thanks for the compliments. Let me know if this was enough info.

Bret

Great work Dogvet - really beautiful!

Angus - Here's a link for buying the magnets -
Amazing Magnets

I use them in the wooden bases for my serving dishes - drill a hole from underneath to within 1/16 of the surface put a plug in behind it . . . the magnet is strong enough to hold the dish in place but can't be seen.

DogVet is right - watch how you handle them - they will bite you if you get careless

I do butt caps a little bit differently. I silver solder a flat head wood screw to the back and drill a hole in the handle and imbed it in epoxy I feel it gives a lot more surface area to and the screw threads for a tight grip. I note a lot of movement in handle material even if it has been stabilized and have alway thought that might loosen the bond on flat to flat mating surfaces. When I can I prefer to thread the butt cap and screw it directly to the tang with a coating of epoxy. Just my thoughts...