I Forge Iron

Second Anvil for me?

1 hour ago, evfreek said:

She asked all kinds of questions like how did it start, do you get burned, is it lucrative, etc., etc.  Eventually, about half an hour into the conversation, she told me that she had something to admit.  She just put up the ad in hopes that she would get some calls from blacksmiths who were interesting to talk to.  She said that she wasn't disappointed, and the calls just kept pouring in.  The ad stayed up for some time.  Guess I should have known better

that was all pretty good, told my mom that story and she to found it amusing.

Littleblacksmith

On 12/16/2016 at 0:58 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

You may have killed the deal by offering what you did. They may have thought it wasn't worth anything near that price, and you piqued their curiosity. The other thing that I do is make the offer in person with the ca$h in hand,  not over the phone.

Personally I start with my standard offer of $1 a pound. Sometimes they take it, sometimes they don't and I walk because that is what I pay. It isn't like I NEED another anvil, but if I can get one in my price range I get it. I use some as loaners for others who are getting started. I am not going to participate in the driving up of prices due to the current craze. 

Sadly, I think this is what happened.  It appears that, if I offered much less, I might have walked away with a quick victory.  It is certainly likely that others offered more, but the sudden silence on email appears to indicate that the seller saw dollar signs immediately after my offer.  Next time I will arrange a meeting and show up with cash...