I Forge Iron

Brake Drum Forge

Flop

I got bored the other night so I decided to make a brake drum forge, check it out and tell me what you think, I used some charcoal to try it out, as I don't have any good coal as of yet. It heated a piece of rebar up in a matter of seconds, don't tell the wife I used her hair dryer.

5211.attach

5212.attach

5213.attach

5214.attach

5215.attach

When you get things going, you may find you need more air getting into the forge. Instead of the holes you have now, try 2 holes 1/2 inch wide x 3 inches long with maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch material between them. No one ever said you couldn't make changes or try to improve the forge. Look for an aluminum flex pipe (dryer vent pipe) that is 3 inches diameter for an air tube between the blower and the T at the forge. Less than $5.

Great start, not to find something to beat on (grin)

Glenn, I got a piece of RR track to beat on, can't see it in the pics though so I got that covered. Hammer kid, you should I fired it up again last night and the thing works great, gonna put a piece of 1/4" steel around it this weekend to make a table and to sink the fire pot, that way I can rake coal in as I need it.

• 7 months later...