I Forge Iron

Attaching a blower to a drum forge

Kurogane

Well I have had to build a new forge,  first my neighbour called the fire department on me, I was heating my forge up, then I melted it.... Don't ask I don't know how.

I'm looking for solutions on how to attach a bounce castle blower to a 2 inch pipe, I'm thinking a pvc flange and a flex hose to the air inlet for the forge, any advice?? 

The picture is the outlet on the blower

15123185_1624035867889920_6710201051633175320_o.jpg

You realize that your blower is likely to have way too much air going into your fire, right?

Easiest I can think of would be to get a small piece of plate that'll give you enough size to drill out the bolt pattern on your blower. Drill out some holes to let the air pass and weld on a floor flange or even a piece of scrap pipe in the size you want. Then attach as you normally would.

I would seriously consider cutting enough of the plate to allow you to dump extra air from that thing. That or I'd find a hair drier (still too much air, just not as much) or a fart fan (might be too much air depending on make and model).

One thing you might want to note is what kind of fuel you're using. Type of fuel dictates amount of air you have to have to sustain it. 

Wood turns to charcoal of sorts so I'd set up for charcoal. Using just a ball valve on that blower is likely to burn up the motor. You can get a fart fan for about $20 US around here. Or you can find a house that's being remodeled or a small company that does remodeling and likely get one for free. I've had four of them and didn't pay a penny because I saved them from the dumpster when I worked construction. They will also be much easier to connect to since they have a much smaller outlet than the blower you have.

6 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

Wood turns to charcoal of sorts so I'd set up for charcoal. Using just a ball valve on that blower is likely to burn up the motor. You can get a fart fan for about $20 US around here. Or you can find a house that's being remodeled or a small company that does remodeling and likely get one for free. I've had four of them and didn't pay a penny because I saved them from the dumpster when I worked construction. They will also be much easier to connect to since they have a much smaller outlet than the blower you have.

Wood turns to charcoal of sorts? Where do you get charcoal Michael?

A bounce castle blower is hundreds of times more air than you'll need for a forge. Even a blow drier needs restricting to avoid wasting fuel big time. You'll spend more time and money trying to adapt and restrict the air from a bounce castle blower than just buying one. Yard, garage, etc. sales are good sources of old blow driers and occasionally mattress inflaters. I rarely spend a whole dollar on them but I tend to bundle my buys. I'm always looking for punches chisels, allen wrenches and such tools for their value as stock. Hammer heads too of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Wood turns to charcoal of sorts? Where do you get charcoal Michael?

I just meant it's not really charcoal when you use it straight from wood. In my mind and for this discussion there really isn't charcoal as much as there is wood and coals that form when the wood is burned. Technically if you put the fire out before it's all consumed then yes there's charcoal there. I'm splitting frog hairs with a broad axe here. :) 

The coals under the wood are charcoal. True you don't use the wood fire as the forge but the coals under it work just fine. I used to work out of a camp fire a LOT. I worked a field job for 19 years, spent a lot of time killing time after work and I'm not one to knock down a 12 pack every night so I beat the snot out of found steel instead. I've even used a boulder, a cobble and willow sticks for tongs to show an office guy you don't need "real" tools or a coal fire. And yeah, I occasionally welded in the coals under the camp fire it's not as easy as a proper blown forge but it's not that hard.

So yeah, I stand by my statement, burning wood in a forge generates charcoal with which you heat your stock to forge. Humans have been doing that for millennia before iron.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have kinda scrapped the blower, I have a bathroom fan, it seems easier,  and a hair dryer. 

I'm thinking now of the internal of the forge, I have a flange welded to the bottom and nothing as a grate, I have some 3/16 thick plate, it's from a wood stove I'm thinking of drilling some holes and using it, what does everyone think? That or for a grate I have some 1/2 inch rod