I Forge Iron

S&H anvil with 'Eselsrücken'

Welcome aboard Tungsten, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

I don't know how rare a S&H of this pattern is but in general they aren't rare, maybe that large but it's a common pattern. The eselsrucken is the block on the side of the base, yes? We call that an "Upsetting block."

Beautiful anvil by the way, congratulations.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome to the forum. 

A direct translation of Eselsrücken means something rather rude according to google translate but I wouldn't be surprised if that were wrong. 

From the side it looks like a regular South German anvil but it quite clearly isn't. It looks to me like a cross between a South German and a French or Belgian anvil. (having the hardy hole off to one side) I've never seen one like it, though I don't know if S&H made many like it. It's certainly unusual that's for sure. It could easily have been a one off. 

Andy

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

The eselsrucken is the block on the side of the base, yes? We call that an "Upsetting block."

The upsetting block is a nice feature of this anvil, but the 'Eselsrucken' is a german word for arch. If u look carefully, the arch starts just before the round horn. The hardy hole doesn't sit flat. If u mount a tool in the hardy hole, it doesn't point straight up, because the hardy hole is inside this arching of the round horn. I hope I explained it a little bit better now. 

8 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

The upsetting block is a nice feature of this anvil, but the 'Eselsrucken' is a german word for arch. If u look carefully, the arch starts just before the round horn. The hardy hole doesn't sit flat. If u mount a tool in the hardy hole, it doesn't point straight up, because the hardy hole is inside this arching of the round horn. I hope I explained it a little bit better now. 

Good explanation, I see it now. I've never seen the like, I'm curious.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi and welcome!

Awesome anvil you got there!

I don't know much about these anvils but the arch and the position of the hardy hole reminds me of the old anvils sold in French. I'd say this is one of the French patterns - but am not sure. Also the 224K type mark for its weigh is something I've seen on French anvils.

Matei Campan likes these French two horns, and I think he will know more...

Bests:

Gergely

you know, germans and french have met during the history - here's the result from one encounter. I think that that anvil has the best from each nation tradition. wow, that's one of the most gorgeous anvils I have seen! that's an anvil made probably for the french or belgian market? the anvil manufacturers seemed that they were making not only their "national" patterns, but also patterns for specific areas, traditions. I also saw at least once a french pattern made in Sweden.

Don't have any pages from S&H catalogs, but several French and English firms made similar anvils. Not only could you choose any style working surface, you could choose between raised "Cricket" legs as seen in France and Italy, or staked Spanish "Catalan" bases, or the flat footed style, with or without upsetting blocks, side shelves, etc.

AFY ad.jpg

Alldays & Onions 1900 ad.jpg

8 hours ago, Everything Mac said:

A direct translation of Eselsrücken means something rather rude according to google translate but I wouldn't be surprised if that were wrong. 

Everything Mac, think like a donkey, not the other! :)

6 hours ago, Tungsten said:

The upsetting block is a nice feature of this anvil, but the 'Eselsrucken' is a german word for arch.

I did some research, and nothing I could find would indicate that this anvil has anything to do with an arch. The word doesn't translate into arch in english, as far as I can tell. The Arch you can see on the anvil looks to me to be ordinary swale on an anvil. I've never heard of an arch anvil. 

That being said, I'm ready and willing to be proven wrong, both on the German translation, as well as the terminology for this style of anvil. 

Regaards, 

Ridgewayforge

The first picture of a French anvil was called a "arched collar" face, as opposed to the even transition more commonly seen in the second picture.  The arch in the face is quite apparent on both. The raised dome of the horn tapering into the flat body seems to be found only on certain French styles, but any large company anywhere in the world could and did make many patterns available. Fisher's export only "Insonora" pattern, for instance.

french pig anvil side view arched horn collar.jpg

S&Ce 230lb 105Kg French pattern anvil front side.jpg

that convexity over the face is very handy. I have two french anvils which have the same feature, a little cavalry portable one with exactly the same geometry as the S&H, and another one with less convexity but still present. once you are used to that features, you miss them on other anvils.

Funny how things work some times. I came across this blog today. - http://3kgsousterre.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/couteaux finis

French Vietnamese I'm told. Their main anvil looks to be a cross between French and German designs. Notice the hardy and pritchpl holes are set to one side of the face. As well as the shelf and upsetting block. 

Andy