I Forge Iron

Iron supplyers North of Detroit.

• 1 year later...

As for iron; real wrought iron hasn't been commercially made for decades and is very expensive and hard to find. It also works quite differently than mild steel---which is what all the web sites and books are set up for using. I suggest you start with mild steel which is what is sold everywhere! (I buy new steel stock from a local company that uses it; as they get price breaks the more they order they are happy to load a bunch off on me every now and then. BTW It's a windmill repair and new construction company. They were much cheaper than buying it from the local hardware/lumber yard.)

If you just have to have real wrought iron the "Real Wrought Iron Co, LTD" in England is re manufacturing wrought iron scrap. It is a tad pricy though. Better to learn to recognize the rust/break patterns in scrap and find it locally.

Paragon,

If you are just starting out, don't worry too much about using wrought iron. Just get yourself some steel. There are a lot of steel yards around, I personally go to Pontiac Steel. They are in Pontiac on University. What part of Michigan are you from. If you are close you should join us at Pleasant Street Forge for Steve Allings open forge night every Tuesday at 6:00 PM. If you're interested e-mail me and I will get you directions to both.

Zach