I Forge Iron

My First File Knife

BlackMetalViking

Thanks guys!

John: With regards to thickness I only had to hammer down the bevels, the spine is original thickness, I'd say its around 1/8" and I quenched it in fresh motor oil. 

Theo: I'm going the K.I.S.S. route, just some leather lace. It already has excellent hand feel, I just need a little more thickness.

Thanks again for the great feedback!

Viking

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 3:24 PM, NFLIFe said:

Nice... The handle shape looks great, must feel super secure in hand with the way it wraps around

Thanks! It does have a nice hand feel, I think it will improve once I finish it too, I still need to wrap the handle and put an edge on it. I shut down the smithy for a bit while I build my next forge over the winter......and the ol' lady wants a few of her wood projects finished, so more work, less play.

• 3 months later...

Nice! Looking good.What a fun use for an old file.

I've only made one knife in my life. I made it years ago in shop class in high school. It was from a thick old file. Had to hammer it thinner to start with - a lot of hammering. I quenched it in water - mainly because I had no idea what I was doing and was just following the shop teachers instructions.