I Forge Iron

A nice Fisher I will have tomorrow

well after my last eBay escapade if you have read my last post about "I bought an Anvil today"  about my 290 lb. Peter Wright.. and the one that got away on the rotten eBay deal...... well life has its ups and downs... first up then down and now back up !! after I got back home from that experience I found this nice Fisher just listed and is nicer and was cheaper then that eBay dud... I pick this one up tomorrow !!  JT

00000_c7yapES9ehm_600x450[1].jpg

00E0E_2tYYHCLjTkl_600x450[1].jpg

00A0A_gBZEddQgIuY_600x450[1].jpg

00W0W_9Ubg79fP2mn_600x450[1].jpg

00l0l_hzhyrvjM2vL_600x450[1].jpg

00v0v_l8IBUc0umyy_600x450[1].jpg

00404_7TscxxzL6y6_600x450[1].jpg

00z0z_lihkZgKM2wv_600x450[1].jpg

thank you njanvilman !! I have a early Fisher that's just a little smaller then this one that weighs 112 lbs. so I was just guessing with it being a little bit larger and the feet heavier looking it could be heaver.. JT

well I have this anvil at home now.. just looking it over at the sellers house I don't see any markings, numbers, or eagle.. it sure looks like a fisher to me.. I know some very early fishers didn't have markings, but this looks much later.. the later ones I've seen have the eagle and weight and fisher markings on them... does anyone have any ideas about this one ?? thanks, JT

30 minutes ago, JT said:

well I have this anvil at home now.. just looking it over at the sellers house I don't see any markings, numbers, or eagle.. it sure looks like a fisher to me.. I know some very early fishers didn't have markings, but this looks much later.. the later ones I've seen have the eagle and weight and fisher markings on them... does anyone have any ideas about this one ?? thanks, JT

It is a FISHER.  Probably made in the 1950's.  It could have had a paper label on the "back" side when shipped.  Most of these did not survive.  They were just stuck on like a postage stamp, and easily got damaged or fell off.   For whatever reason, I have never seen a Fisher with a date after 1951, and many also did not have the Eagle or Fisher on the front.  

1 minute ago, njanvilman said:

It is a FISHER.  Probably made in the 1950's.  It could have had a paper label on the "back" side when shipped.  Most of these did not survive.  They were just stuck on like a postage stamp, and easily got damaged or fell off.   For whatever reason, I have never seen a Fisher with a date after 1951, and many also did not have the Eagle or Fisher on the front.  

Thank you njanvilman !! that's nice to know.. as like stated before I hadn't seen them like this in my short time looking at anvils !! I've tried to read everything I can find on them but must have not seen or didn't remember reading that..as I was mostly interested in finding out about the early one at the time... I haven't taken it off the stand yet to weigh it and shorten the stand as its about 1 wood block to tall for me.. I'm  thinking your correct about being in the 100 lb. range I'll try to weigh it tomorrow .. JT

20 hours ago, JT said:

well after my last eBay escapade if you have read my last post about "I bought an Anvil today"  about my 290 lb. Peter Wright.. and the one that got away on the rotten eBay deal...... well life has its ups and downs... first up then down and now back up !! after I got back home from that experience I found this nice Fisher just listed and is nicer and was cheaper then that eBay dud... I pick this one up tomorrow !!  JT

It also appears that the stand may be a little high for general forging, although I'm not sure what you will be using your anvil for, or how tall you are, but it just appeared kinda tall. Knuckle high seems to be most common height for anvils. But like I said it depends a lot on what you will be doing with it. what kind of forging will you be using it for?

Littleblacksmith

5 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

It also appears that the stand may be a little high for general forging, although I'm not sure what you will be using your anvil for, or how tall you are, but it just appeared kinda tall. Knuckle high seems to be most common height for anvils. But like I said it depends a lot on what you will be doing with it. what kind of forging will you be using it for?

Littleblacksmith

Hello littleblacksmith !! yes its way to tall for me.. lol.. the seller was much taller then me..  its on 3 blocks of wood and I need to take at least 1 off.. then see where that leaves it.. JT